Trout Lake History
Trout Lake is a man-made lake conceived in the late 1800’s for the purpose of ice harvesting. Before refrigeration, people would use large blocks of ice to keep their food cold. Local lakes like ours supplied ice to both New York and Philadelphia.
With the advent of refrigeration and the fall of the ice industry, Trout Lake was used as a family vacation facility until the late 1980’s. In 1991, Trout Lake was purchased by the Klaus family and remodeled into a summer sports camp and retreat facility.
Some remains from Trout Lake’s earlier history still exist, such as the impressive stone foundations that supported the massive five-story ice houses.